Gang, how is it not the weekend yet? Jeesh! I have been crushing hard on this gin twist on the classic Old Fashioned and I cannot wait to share. I had a gin based Old Fashioned at a bar downtown Chicago and was OBSESSED! It’s crazy good & if you are like me and just starting to dip your toes in to the whiskey well, this is a refreshing way to get the flavor without going crazy. So, how do you make it you ask? SIMPLE!
So the simple, 30-second recipe is this: Grab your gin, tonic, and the Cocktail Crate Old Fashioned mix and voila!
If you don’t know Cocktail Crate, you should. They are honestly the best pre-made mixers around (& no, this isn’t a sponsored post). We have a few on hand at all times and they are always a hit. You just add in your ice, gin, a bit of the mix, and a splash of tonic to make it bubbly & heyo, it’s party time!
For the more living room mixologist friendly recipe, see below. Both are great & I promise, you’ll be obsessed!
- 4 Oz Good Quality Gin
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- 2 Sugar cubes
- Zest of an orange or lemon
- Divide the sugar cubes into 2 glasses.
- Saturate with bitters - give it a good couple shakes or so.
- Top with 2 shots of gin and muddle until the sugar breaks down and begins to dissolve in the mixture.
- Add as much ice as makes you happy and stir for about 45 seconds.
- Run the zest of the citrus along the top of each glass. Twist and squeeze to release some oil and drop into the mixture or skewer with blueberries and place on side of the glass.
- Bottoms up.