Howdy, friends! It’s almost picnic season & we couldn’t be more excited! Gather up some friends, pack up some snacks, and head outside for a full day of picnicking. Worried you might forget something? Don’t be! We are arming you with a fool-proof list on what to pack, a few favorite sangria recipes, & the perfect games for a long day of outdoor fun. There will be no more Mcgyvering bottle openers or crappy snacks on any picnic of yours – we’ve got you covered!
PACKING THE PERFECT SUPPLIES
No matter if you are picnicking in a park downtown or alongside a lake in the country, packing the perfect supplies is essential. No one wants to Mcgyver a bottle opener or be stuck without a blanket, so running through a quick checklist before you set out is essential. Take it from someone who has forgotten many essential things (many times) on a picnic, this is a mistake you don’t want to make.
Here is our check list:
- Food with easy clean-up: fruit, cheese, pre-made (or bought) sandwiches, grapes, nuts, olives, bread and jams, you get the idea. The easier it is to eat, the better. That way you can pack more yummy snacks instead of filling your bag with accouterment.
- A sturdy basket & a few blankets: I can think of about a million things that are better than lugging around a heavy bag up a mountain or from your car to the park, so do yourself a favor and invest in a sturdy basket on wheels. It will save everyone a lot of stress and frustration. Pro tip: pack a few extra blankets. You never know when they will come in handy & they are perfect for shawls, make-shift pillows, towels, tents – the list goes on!
- Pack a cutting board: If I have one piece of picnic wisdom to instill upon you, it’s to pack a cutting board. It can be small, round, plastic, whatever – just make sure you have one. Perfect to layout the food spread, cutting apples, or as a surface to rest drinks on, you really can’t go wrong to pack one.
- The accessories: This is key! Make sure you’ve got a wine opener that doubles as a bottle opener (we always keep one in the zipper pocket of our basket), a knife with a sleeve cover, plastic cups, napkins, and plastic/disposable plates. We also like to slip a packet of wet wipes or paper towels in our bag…just in case.
We love posting up all day in a park on a Saturday in the summer. Your friends can come & go as they please, the little ones (pups too!) can run around, everyone brings something to eat or drink, it’s the perfect day! We always make sure to bring a few games in our basket because it keeps the party going & is an easy way for friends (new & old) to connect.
- Football or Soccer ball: Perfect for the guys to run around with or to amuse kids for hours. You can’t go wrong with a good ball. Who knows, you get enough friends and you could have your own pick-up game in the park.
- Bags/Cornhole: This is my personal favorite. So easy to play & always fun – even if you have terrible aim. I think I like it because you can have a beverage in one hand & chat the whole time, which is absolutely my kind of sport 😉
- Card games: Your regular old deck of cards, Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples, you name it – they are all awesome & card games are always a good idea.
- Bocce Ball: If you aren’t a bocce fan, now is the time to start! This is a family favorite in our house & is perfect for a park. Grab a cheap set, try it out, & prepare to fall in love.
Okay, let’s be real, it wouldn’t be a true LK approved picnic without some fun cocktails! I am a big fan of making a big batch of sangria & throwing it in the cooler. No muss, no fuss, just delicious punch that everyone can enjoy. Here are our favorite go-to summer sangria recipes & I promise, they will make an appearance more than once throughout the summer!