Happy almost Friday! Constance here and I hope you had a fabulous Easter weekend with those you love the most. If you’re like me, you’ve been spending this week trying to detox from all that sugar you begrudgingly ate. In an effort to detox, I failed miserable, caved and decided to make these delicious lemon pistachio shortbread cookies.
It is so easy and you can get as creative as you want. We opted for lemon this time, and we have absolutely no regrets! We highly recommend whipping up a batch of these beauties and taking them to your neighbors, your co-workers, or book club. Don’t forget to save a few for yourself, you know, just in case 😉
SHORTBREAD COOKIE INGREDIENTS:
-2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
-2 tablespoon vanilla
-4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 cup chopped pistachios
LEMON GLAZE INGREDIENTS:
-3 cups powdered sugar
-2 tsp lemon zest
-5 to 6 tbsp fresh lemon juice
SHORTBREAD COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
– In a medium-sized bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and incorporate well.
– In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder, and add in increments to the running mixer until well combined with the butter mixture.
– Once all combined, round together on a flat surface, adding any chunks from the bottom of the bowl to the ball of dough. On a lightly floured surface, knead the pistachios into the dough until evenly distributed.
– Try not to over handle the dough. Cut the dough in half and wrap each with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes, or until firm and chilled (this allows the dough to keep its form while baking if you’re using a shaped cutter).
– Once cooled, roll out onto a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut your shapes and place on a prepared baking pan. You can re-roll the scraps once to get another batch.
– Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, or until slightly golden on the edges.
LEMON GLAZE INSTRUCTIONS:
– Combine all ingredients until blended.
– Once cookies have cooled, dip the top of each one in the lemon glaze and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.