‘Tis the season for hot chocolate & strong cocktails – am I right? Yesterday Chicago was colder than Mars. Let that sink in for a minute. CHICAGO WAS COLDER THAN MARS.
Naturally, the only way to cope with a frozen tundra is to have boozy treats waiting when you get home. I have re-discovered my love for hot chocolate (I know, I know, what is wrong with me? Why did I ever stop loving it?!) and adding a little kick of mezcal has made it all the more amazing.
Now, now, for all those leery about mezcal – don’t be. It’s actually amazing & delicious and when slipped in some cozy hot chocolate, a little whipped cream, and a dash of chili or nutmeg – it’s a game changer. This mezcal hot chocolate concoction is like a 30-second version of the rich and delicious Mexican hot chocolate but…again, it takes 30-seconds, it’s awesome and warms the body right up.
I mean, how can you not give it a try?!
- 1 oz Mezcal (we used El Silencio)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 8 oz milk
- 3 oz baking chocolate
- 2-3 tbsp sugar
- Cinnamon, chili, nutmeg, & other spices to taste
- Pour mezcal, vanilla, milk, baking chocolate, & sugar into a saucepan and heat on low/medium, stirring constantly, until chocolate & sugar are melted.
- Whisk the mixture to give it a nice froth (or just put it in your blender for a hot second)
- Pour into a mug, add some whipped cream & top off with some spices.