French Fry week continues! What did you think about yesterdays Pad Thai fry recipe? While the recipe was a little more involved it’s absolutely worth it. Today we thought we would introduce a healthier at-home version – the Parmesan & Rosemary Oven Fry. Healthier because you bake them & can control your level of oil, salt, and cheese, and still delicious because we snuck in an aioli recipe at the bottom. Give it a try & tell us what you think! – xo, LK
Oven fries, you are the best thing that ever happened to potatoes. Listen, I love a classic, perfectly golden fry as much as the next person with tastebuds and an active pulse (who doesn’t love fries, I mean really?). Still, I’d much rather leave the deep-fried version where they belong: as an occasional treat best handled by the pros (I’m batting my eyelashes lovingly at you, restaurant whose name rhymes with Shmake Shmack). When I’m at home and feeling the urge for a heaping pile of crispy french fries, I turn to one of the best & simplest recipes in my arsenal: the oven fry. This version is tossed in olive oil, fresh rosemary and sea salt, and gets a little extra crunchiness from an outer coating of grated Parmesan.
These are fantastic dipped in ketchup, of course, but a little smear of Lemon Garlic Aioli alongside a plate of these beauties really seals the deal. For just a few extra minutes of effort (this is one of those cheater’s recipes I should really call a ‘faux aioli’, because you’ll start with store-bought mayo), you can dip your golden potato wedges into a pool of pure lemony, garlicky nirvana and bliss out in french fry heaven. Just let that idea wash over you for a second. Now, go roast some garlic!
1 lb. red potatoes (about 4-5 medium sized potatoes)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary½ teaspoon of salt
1 head roasted garlic (do this ahead of time: wrap entire head of garlic loosely in aluminum foil, roast for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, remove & let cool completely)1/2 cup mayonnaise1 teaspoon lemon juice1 tablespoon fresh parsley1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Scrub the potatoes well (leave peel on), slice each into fat matchstick shapes about 1/2″ thick.
- Place potatoes a large bowl and cover with warm water, soak for 10 minutes. Dry potatoes well with paper towels, return them to bowl.
- Add olive oil, Parmesan, rosemary & salt to potatoes. Using your hands, toss everything until well coated.
- Place in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, flipping potatoes once halfway through, until the fries are nicely golden on the outside.
- Cut top off head of roasted garlic, squeeze it (like a tube of toothpaste) over food processor bowl until soft, roasted garlic cloves squoosh out of their skins. Add mayo, lemon juice, parsley and honey, blend into a smooth paste. Serve with Parmesan & Rosemary Oven fries, and enjoy!