Well, howdy! It’s been a little quiet over here but it’s only because we’ve been busy working away on the best recipes, taste-testing those 30-second cocktails, and, truthfully, we’ve been rolling around and enjoying the last bits of summer. To keep that summer-vibe alive a little longer, we hosted the most fantastic tequila tasting party.
Truthfully, it happened by accident (as all tequila happenings should) and it turned our night from a fun hang out with friends to a night we all still laugh about! It all started because we were talking about our favorite types of tequila and why we liked them, which (naturally) turned into a “mine is totally better than yours!” convo. So we decided to settle it, once & for all! We Drizly-ed over the top three tequilas (according to the group) and had ourselves a little tasting!
We all decided upon three tequilas to try & staged a little friendly competition. Judged based on flavor, finish, and how cool the bottles label was (hey, that is totally how you decide what to bring home – don’t lie!) and voila! An easy little at-home tequila tasting fest. Here are our three contestants:
1. Espolón – This was my pick for favorite tequila & I have to say, I think I won some people over. It has won a ton of awards, it is affordable, and you really can’t beat the taste. Perfect for palomas, margaritas, or just to sip on a hot Saturday in the summer. Plus, how cool is their label?
2. el Jimador – This tequila is smooth, full bodied (I don’t really know what that means, but it makes sense when you try it), and great for mixing up margaritas. Use this tequila if you are mixing up a cocktail that has strong flavors (like a peach basil margarita or, one of my favorites, the blood orange marg) There isn’t anything crazy about the taste, but it gets the job done & it’s decent for the price.
3. Herradura – Truthfully, I had never tried the Herradura Silver but I have to say, I really enjoyed it! Almost like a mezcal, it’s smokey and has a more complex finish than I am used to. Another good sipping tequila and one that I would use in a super simple mixed drink as to not overpower its flavors.
If you aren’t in to sipping tequila, here is the ultimate frozen margarita recipe. Our old neighbors in Austin, Michelle (who has a hysterical podcast) & David, used to whip these puppies up and it was like catnip. We couldn’t stay away! Grab some lime-ade (the cheaper the better, really) & get to blending!
- 2 Frozen Limeades
- Pour limeade into blender. Add 2 cups of ice
- Fill 1 empty limeade container with tequila and add to blender
- Blend until perfectly slushy and wonderful. Squeeze limes & serve!
So, what do you think, my little party people? Ready to host a fun tequila tasting bash this weekend? I mean, it really couldn’t get any easier!
Have your friends bring their favorite bottle, provide some limes, a little salt, and maybe a score card (if you feel like getting fancy) and hop to it!
Find one you like? Share! We are always on the look-out for new and delicious tequilas, so comment below and share your favorite. Happy tasting!
Photography by Aimée Mazzenga