Hello, hello my festive little friends! Are you getting in the holly jolly spirit? Are your bells a jingling? Okay, okay, I’ll stop 🙂 But seriously, I don’t think I have come down from a sugar high since Thanksgiving and I have no plan (well, no serious plans, anyway) of stopping until good ol’ 2017. I mean, I’ve never met a warm carb I didn’t like & todays recipe is no exception. Ladies & gentlemen, meet your new favorite brunch treat – the Glazed Fruit Loop donut.
She is sassy, a little unexpected, loopy for sure, but always a good time. Perfect for a holiday office treat, at-home brunch with the girls, a morning meeting, or hey, just to have on hand. Is the recipe easy? Uh, duh. Do I have most of the ingredients at home? Absolutely. Can I swap out Fruit Loops for another favorite cereal? I mean…if you must 😉
So, normally, I am no a big donut eater, but one the occasional Saturday morning, sometimes I will wake up early & whip up a fresh batch. Or if we have friends staying with us, I think waking up to the smell of freshly backed donuts is a special kind of treat. My sweet husband sometimes switches up our normal breakfast cereal choice for something a little more…youthful, so last weekend I was feeling festive and decided to sprinkle the tops of the freshly coated donuts with fruit loops & my life has never been the same since. This recipe gets a big fat “Husband Approved” stamp and it’s a fun little indulgence.
Now, I don’t know about you, but when I bake, I have no regard for mess. Things are everywhere – flour in my hair, covering the counter, messy spatulas laying on the counter, open food coloring containers – it’s a bit of a war zone. But, with a little helping hand from method, I fear no mess! If you haven’t heard of method, I am sure you’ve seen their super fun colorful ads with mess everywhere & drippy ice cream cones – they are so well done, right? Anyway, between their line of hand soap, surface cleaners, and all-purpose cleaners, there is no mess you can’t candle. Yes, even a bag of fruit loops that spilled on the floor and you accidentally step in them and those adorable little loops turn into a million tiny crushed crumbs. Even that mess…
Best part? method is animal friendly, so that means no animal testing (HOORAY!) and all of their products are people-friendly (read as: biodegradable, vegan + gluten free) so nothing scary and funky going on inside the bottle. So what are you waiting for? With no mess to fear & a killer recipe, you’ve got some baking to do!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Food coloring
- 2 tablespoons Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups of Fruit Loops cereal
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix your flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until thoroughly mixed.
- Grab a small saucepan & combine unsweetened almond milk, white vinegar, vanilla extract, egg, and butter over medium heat. Whisk gently until everything is combined into a sauce & pour into dry mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a doughnut pan & bake until 10-14 minutes. Remove & place on wire rack to cool.
- While your donuts are cooling, it’s time to whip up the icing! In a medium mixing bowl, add your powdered sugar, unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla extract, mix well until nice & smooth. If you want two different color icings, evenly separate into two batches & add in food coloring. To get this pink color, use one drop of red – for purple, use one red & one purple. Mix well until color is thoroughly blended.
- Place a paper towel under your wire rack, put the donuts on the wire rack, and glaze away!